Bethany’s a white court vampire, DJ and pirate radio broadcaster. She’s changed a fair amount from my last interation, most notably in High concept and theme. She’s still a bit of a work in progress, so be warned.
High Concept: White Court vampire pirate radio broadcaster and DJ
- Invoke: Help seducing someone, feeding, general music and broadcast stuff
- Tag: Using white court weaknesses or nature against me
- Compel: Feeding, something happening in the club network, an interesting story to follow up
Theme: Truth, Lies and Consequences
I’ve made it my mission to get the truth of at least some of what happens out to the mortal inhabitants of the city. At the same time, I am a creature of lies, concealing the truth of what I am and what I have done from those around me, especially those I care about. The conflict comes when the truth I put out on air may just be a little too hot to handle. Will I add some judicious shading of the truth, or damn the consequences? And what about when the lies I have woven around mysefl threaten to be shattered? And what about when the consequences of these truths and lies, good or bad, come home to roost?
- Invoke: Help spreading truth, discovering the truth and lying
- Tag: Using my lies, truths or the consequences of such against me
- Compel: The consequences of my actions coming back to haunt me, telling more truth on the radio show than is strictly wise, misleading in a personal matter even when the unvarnished truth might be better.
Maria Thorn never had an easy life. After her mother was killed by the White Council and her brother lost, her father fled with her, always on the run. So perhaps it wasn’t a surprise when she was romanced by a
mysterious handsome stranger calling himself John Smith (no one ever claimed that White Court vampires ever had to be particularly imaginative) that she fell madly in love with him. She was still on the run, though, only John had bought his own enemies into the mix – his family. Together, they managed to make a third enemy, one more terrible still. But there was happiness too, as they brought a child into the world, Bethany, on 31st October, 1923.
They managed to stay ahead of their enemies until Bethany was eight. She doesn’t remember who or what killed them, or why they left her alive. Her travels started again when her mother’s brother, an angry wizard called Linden, took her under his wing, blaming the White Council for her mother’s death. After travelling around Europe for a while, he stopped in Spain, where he helped fight the fascists in the civil war. Bethany
saw the horrors of war first hand, the cheapness of human life and the best and easiest way to manipulate people is to lie to them. After his side was defeated, he left for the UK, his home.
Linden got involved in the Bletchley project in 1940/1 and dragged his by then somewhat fractious ward along. Alongside the more well known codebreaking project, sorcerors and wizards gathered to cast assive rituals to protect Britain from Nazi sorcerous attack. They drew upon the entity bound beneath what is now Milton Keynes as an energy source. Since she was not magically talented, despite her parentage, Bethany felt a restlessness she couldn’t put a name to. She spent more and more time outside of the project, alternately attracted and repelled by the lust she inspired in men.
During this time, she met a mysterious beautiful woman named Rebecca Skavis, who intrigued her, befriended her, encouraged her worst instincts and eventually awakened her to her White Court heritage, though she never developed a taste for the despair that Rebecca thrived on. The scarring left by the horrors of war and a general disdain for humanity (beginning with her obvious superiority to them and encouraged by Rebecca) gave her a general view of humanity as chattel, and led to her involvement in some nasty
things. She was also her tutor in fencing (Linden disdained the physical arts), though Bethany was never as adept as her mentor.
Rebecca secured her a place in the Political Warfare Executive, the centre for grey and black propaganda in the UK, based in Woburn Abbey, just a few miles away. Bethany took to this with a vengeance, and was
especially adept at the subtle interplay of information and disinformation to encourage confusion and loss of morale in the enemy troops. She successfully kept her heritage from Linden, who never suspected what his niece was doing outside of work. Indeed, he was somewhat grateful that she was much more pliant as her darker emotions were focussed elsewhere.
Aspect: You never knew half of what I did.
- Invoke: Helping deceive someone, performing violent acts, either physical or by feeding
- Tag: Rebecca in any kind of conflict with me, anyone using my past against me in a social conflict
- Compel: Shadows from my past, especially anything to do with Rebecca
What shaped me:
This ended when the Bletchley project spun out of control. Giving the entity a foothold by drawing upon it too deeply, it opened a rift in Bletchley Park, sucking people, mundanes and mages both, into the realm
of the entity, to be feasted upon. A cascade failure opened up a similar rift around the Hellschrieber installed in the PWE, sucking her and a few others in.
She spent the next six decades trapped inside the rift. In far enough that the entity could feed upon her soul. Not far enough in that she could be consumed. She was released just a few years ago by Delacroix, the rogue stationmaster who has power over boundaries and space within Milton Keynes.
Bethany stumbled out of the rift, more than half mad, into a world changed beyond her dreams. Possibly her shocked state helped her accept things that would have been considered impossible when she had last been on Earth. It all seemed so strange, anyway. It was almost by accident that she walked into a club in Milton Keynes city centre, drawn by the strange beat, and she discovered how much music had changed in six decades. She took to it like a fish in water, finding and entrancing a local DJ called Mad Horse, who taught her the skills to work in this decade. Growing ever more hungry, yet having lost the taste for feeding on souls in her long confinement, she slaked her appetite by convincing various club owners to let her play so she could inspire lust in the crowd. It was a simple thing to skim some of that energy off the top.
Slowly she became aware of the more supernatural side of things in Milton Keynes, and noticed for herself how many such things preyed upon humans in their ignorance. She decided to do something about it, and started up a pirate radio station local to Milton Keynes (called ‘the Dead of Night) to’ inform the masses about what’s going on, and maybe save a few of them from the lurkers. So far, most people dismiss her
as a crank, but many people tune in anyway to listen to her smoky, sexy voice and always interesting show.
Aspect: I spent 60 years trapped in the gates to the realm of the Nameless One.
- Invoke: Help in resisting pain, or determination generally
- Tag: Intimidation by anyone threatening return to the Old Ones, or by the Old Ones or by their servants. Help resisting my feeding attacks
- Compel: Flashbacks. Have to help anyone being fed on/being tortured, or organise a warning/rescue if I think that that *might* be going on
Novel: Board Op
Bethany is surprised when she is ambushed in her broadcast station – an old van – by, of all things, a recruitment agent with a pitch that she can’t turn down. Accepting the job with Conix FM, against her better judgment, she is plunged into a backroom battle for survival as she attempts to find out who, or what, controls the station and the corporation behind it using her arsenal of looks and lies.
Co-Star: De La Croix
Aspect: Earned a place on the board by killing Antoine Raith with the aid of Rebecca Skavis
- Invoke: Knowing what the corporation is doing
- Compel: Complications due to the Raith family (and their enemies) now knowing of my existence (such as assassins, thugs or repatriation agents), repaying the favour to Rebecca
Co-Starring in: Heart of Thorns
His niece Bethany is the only one who can help him, and reveals her true power when forced to protect Linden.
Aspect: Apparently I’m famous now
Bethany has managed to get quite a following amongst some segments of the supernatural community and mortal hangers on. Naturally, this has benefits and drawbacks. (Hey, you were wondering what her ‘true power’ was.)
- Invoke: Social rolls involving people amongst the supernatural community, contacting rolls in the supernatural community, (for effect) I happen to have a fan around, or
- Tag: Social rolls amongst people whom I may have irritated with one broadcast or another, rolls to avoid notice amongst people who may have heard me.
- Compel: A fan coming along at the wrong time. Being recognised at the wrong time. Someone turning up with a grudge.
Co-Starring in: Fool’s Mate
And what does role does Bethany Smith, a mysterious and beautful woman Evelyn rescues from trolls, play in events?
Aspect: Damsel in Distress?
- Invoke: Leading people to underestimate me, surprise attacks, appealing for protection, setting enemies at each other’s throats whilst I am in their custody
- Tag: Bonus to enemies trying to capture me
- Compel: Captured or threatened by enemies, especially by myself.
- Great: Deceit
- Good: Discipline, Performance, Weapons
- Fair: Empathy, Presence, Rapport
- Average: Alertness, Athletics, Conviction, Endurance, Investigation, Lore
- Incite Emotion (-1)
- Emotional Vampire (-1)
- Hunger (+1)
- Inhuman Recovery (-1)
- Inhuman Speed (-2)
- Inhuman Strength (-2)